Friday, January 9, 2009

Corrugated sheet metal / Chapa ondulada


Coating of corrugated sheet metal is something that can be found with relative abundance in the houses of many localities, especially in their nogging increases. Being imaginary, the example we see in this painting with its windowed gallery may seem fanciful, but you just have to visit some of our towns and villages to conclude that I have been self-contained in my imagination ...
Revestimentos de chapa ondulada são coisa que ainda se poderá encontrar com relativa abundância nas casas de muitas localidades, aparecendo sobretudo em acréscimos de tabique. Por ser imaginário, o exemplo que vemos na imagem com a sua galeria envidraçada poderá parecer fantasioso, mas bastará percorrer algumas das nossas vilas e aldeias para se concluir que até terei sido contido na minha imaginação...
Lana cold-pressed 8"x8" - 140lb (20x20cm - 300g/m2) paper
Sold / Vendido

8 comments:

RobCarey said...

this is so good- to best appreciate your detail I always enlarge your paintings.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Rob. This kind of beautiful and endangered houses is one of my favorites.
Have a wonderful weekend!!

Terry Banderas said...

Paulo--
Your paintings remain a real treat for me to view. Your detail is awesome.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Terry. I always have a great fun painting them, and your feedback makes me happy.

Julio Rodrigues said...

These watercolors always remind me of the work of Norman Rockwell who so well depicted scenes of American traditional family and small town scenes, especially during World War II. Although the techniques are different the appeal is the same at least for me.
Bom fim de semana!

Mineke Reinders said...

I agree with Rob, looking at this large really shows the wonderful detail. I never thought of corrugated sheet metal as an interesting or even beautiful material, but you have shown it such here. This is a beautiful painting.

Rafael Carvalho said...

Mais uma bela aguarela, pintada por alguém que só pode amar e SENTIR o que pinta!
O lugar é-me familiar. Porém, curiosamente, nunca lá estive!
Cheira-me a Lamego, cheira-me a Douro.
Cumprimentos.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Villager, you just mentioned one of my favorite artists, a Master at which side I am just an amateur insect. I truly admire his work and especially his technique, although I may just know a few from the thousands works he painted, after a wonderful book I was happy enough to find in a bookshop in Porto.

Mineke, for some reason I can't explain, corrugated sheet looks strangely appealing, and even more as it gets more rusty by the action of weather. If you check out my other blog "Está de Velho", you may find some interesting examples under the tag "Arquitectura de tabique".
This was my first corrugated sheet metal in a painting that I can consider as quite successful, as I had some recent failed attempts...

Efectivamente, há qualquer coisa de Lamego aqui, caro Rafael, muito embora parte da inspiração tivesse também vindo do meu passeio recente a Castro Daire, que ainda estava bem fresco na memória quando o lápis pousou no papel.
Ambas são terras inspiradoras, e um paraíso para quem gosta de arquitectura tradicional, nomeadamente o fabuloso tabique!

Bom fim-de-semana para todos!
A wonderful weekend for all!