Monday, January 26, 2009

Two villages front-to-front / Duas aldeias frente-a-frente


One of my favorite places is the wide area of the Peneda-Gerês National Park, where you can find some extraordinary landscapes, from the green woods to rocky and harsh mountains, always with water close by. The human presence is noticed by many villages, where life still runs on the rhythm of nature.
Um dos meus lugares preferidos é a vasta área do Parque Nacional da Peneda-Gerês, onde se podem encontrar algumas paisagens extraordinárias, desde bosques verdejantes a montanhas rochosas e agrestes, sempre com a água por perto. A presença humana faz-se notar pelas inúmeras aldeias, onde a vida ainda corre ao ritmo da Natureza.
Fabriano cold-pressed 7"x 5" - 140lb (18x12,5cm - 300g/m2) paper

7 comments:

RobCarey said...

Very beautiful pastoral scene. The goatherder is at peace with his occupation and the village architecture fits nicely with the local geography. Well done!

Paulo J. Mendes said...

More than once I thought that I wouldn't mind to be in the place of the goatherder, and enjoy the peaceful and silent scenery for a couple of weeks... :)

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

What a great panorama! It simply amazes me that such places like this still exist.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Apart from a couple of modern houses mixed with the older and a few other signs of modern life as cars, electric wires or a satellite tv plate, everything else still exists, and it's only a short drive from major cities like Braga or Porto.

Julio Rodrigues said...

Panorama suberbo, evoca as minhas recordações da área da Serra da Estrela.
Boa Semana.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paulo,
I enjoyed your paintings very much. What lively stories they tell! They make me feel as if I was walking on a street somewhere in Portugal. And thanks also for posting your comment on my blog.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Há de facto, Villager, algumas semelhanças nas paisagens naturais e humanas das duas serras.
Uma boa semana, também!

Keiko, thank you. I hope you visit my blog again, and also my country one day.
I became a fan of your work, and I'm always looking forward to see your wonderful daily paintings.